On Friday, March 15, 2024, Robert C. Walker filed a Peremptory Writ of Mandamus against Judge Nancy A. Fuerst of the Cuyahoga County Court of Common Pleas in the Supreme Court of Ohio.

Walker, who represents himself, alleged that Judge Fuerst violated his constitutional rights in two previous criminal cases from 2009. Specifically, Walker claimed that Judge Fuerst failed to disclose the true nature and cause of the charges against him, denying him due process. Walker maintained that the charges were commercial or civil in nature rather than criminal as presented in court.

In his writ, Walker asked the Supreme Court to dissolve the previous cases from the Cuyahoga County Court and grant him access to a trust. He argued that Judge Fuerst, along with the prosecutor and his public defender, conspired to defraud him through misrepresentation and omission of key facts about the proceedings. Walker believes he was subjected to fraudulent prosecution that resulted in an unconstitutional default judgment and imprisonment against him as the debtor in the case.

Walker provided documentation of an “accountable receipt” that he says shows satisfaction of judgment related to the previous charges. He cited several past legal cases and statutes in arguing that Ohio law allows the protection of insolvent debtors from imprisonment related to debts. Walker maintained the lower court erred in its handling of his cases and application of sentencing statutes.

If granted, the Peremptory Writ of Mandamus would compel Judge Fuerst to correct alleged legal errors and civil rights violations from the 2009 proceedings. It remains to be seen whether the Supreme Court will take up Walker’s challenge to the earlier rulings of the Cuyahoga County Court of Common Pleas. As a self-represented litigant, Walker will have to prove compelling grounds for the high court to intervene in this unique attempt to revisit closed criminal matters from over a decade ago.

Judge Fuerst‘s courtroom is located at 1200 Ontario Street, Cleveland, OH 44113, and can be reached at (216) 443-8560.

A copy of the original filing can be found here.